Things To See & Do:

Local Activities.

The Village Of Douglas Douglas Lanarkshire Douglas Community Our Local Community Local Activities Things To See & Do What's On Locally Events & What’s On Photo Galleries Photo Galleries Douglas Business Directory Local Directory

Historic Sites.

Earl of Angus.

On 14th May 1689, the Earl of Angus Regiment was raised by James Douglas, Earl of Angus, to assist the fight for religious freedom in Scotland. Later that year the 1200 strong volunteer regiment, although heavily outnumbered, defeated the Jacobite Army at the Battle of Dunkeld. The regiment became known as The Cameronians in memory of Richard Cameron, a famous and staunch Covenanter.

The statue of the Earl, by Thomas Brock, was unveiled to commemorate the regiment’s bicentenary and depicts the Earl pointing to the site of the field where enrolment of the regiment originally took place. The Earl himself was killed at Steinkirk, Holland in August 1692 whilst battling the forces of Louis 14th of France, at the age of only 21. The regiment was disbanded in Douglas in 1968 and a commemorative memorial is situated in the Castle policies.

St. Bride’s Church.

Of greatest historic interest locally must surely be the Church of St. Bride. It existed in the 1150’s during the reign of King David and was still in use during the late 13th century. Rebuilt around 1390 by Archibald Douglas (Archibald the Grim), son of The Good Sir James Douglas, it is only the chancel, the ruins of the Inglis Aisle and the clock tower that now remain.

It was dedicated to St. Bride who was the Patron Saint of the Douglas family and the chancel houses the tombs of some of the medieval Black Earls of Douglas as well as two lead caskets which carry the hearts of The Good Sir James and Archibald ‘Bell the Cat’, 5th Earl of Angus. It boasts some fine 13th Century stained glass and the bell tower contains a working clock reputed to have been gifted by Mary Queen of Scots, dated 1565. The Church was gifted to The Ministry of Works by Douglas & Angus Estates in the mid 1940’s.

The Sun Inn.

Looking onto St. Bride’s from Main Street and bearing the date 1621 this was originally the Old Baron’s Courthouse and Tolbooth. It is the oldest building in the village. The Courtroom itself had a stone floor, referred to as The Stane Room, with the vaulted prison found underneath. Richard Cameron, the famous Covenanting Preacher, was killed at Airdsmoss in 1680. His commander, William Hackston, and others were taken prisoner and, on their way to Edinburgh to collect their reward, the Royalist Troopers spent a night in the Tolbooth, laying the head and hands of Cameron in The Stane Room whilst Hackston and his fellow prisoners were incarcerated in the prison cell below. It was this cell that eventually became the bar of The Sun Inn, now a dwelling house.


Get the free App.

Keep up to date with everything going on in and around Douglas with Inside Out, the free app from South Lanarkshire Council.

Available for iOS or Android